Gospel Messenger /
Evangeliumi Hirnök - December 2002. KIPLING, SASKATCHEWAN .
- 90TH ANNIVERSARY OF
CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH
- AND THE
- HISTORY OF
THE CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH
- Calvary Baptist Church celebrated the 90th Anniversary of the church
on Sunday, July 21, 2002.
Baptist Church, Kipling
- The morning worship service was held in
the church at 10:30, with Rev. Rick Williams, of Swift Current as guest
speaker. Rev. Williams is currently the moderator for the Heartland Area
Baptist Churches in Manitoba and Saskatchewan. His message was entitled:
AA Time to Celebrate.@
- The afternoon service was at the
Kipling Community Center. Rev. Norman Hovland from Nova Scotia brought
the message, AMinistry and
message for today.@ Former
Pastor, Audrey Kemp shared in both services. Rev. Richard Barta was in
- Musical selections at both services
were rendered by the Basky Family Chorus, consisting of Irene &
Allan Basky, Donna (Hall), Eleanor (Hovland), Edith (Mcpherson). Curtis
& Bonnie Szakacs along with Heidi & Meka shared several
selections. The Szakacs Trio, Evelyn & Natasha & Mildred Stachiw
also shared. Pianist was Curtis Szakacs.
- Messages of greetings were read by
Pastor Barta from former pastors Rev. Paul Hay, Rev & Mrs. Jake
Rabuka, also Gabriella Olah, Edward and Louise Daku, Alex & Marilyn
- Greetings in person were given by
M.L.A. Don Toth, Alex Dakue from the Parkland Church, Glynne Twigge from
Bekevar Presbyterian Church, Ron Weibe from the People’s Church and
Elias Szmutko of the Moosomin Baptist Church.
- A short history of the church was read
by Irene Basky & Pauline Daku. * Following the afternoon service the
ladies served lunch and there was a time of renewing friendships and
reminiscence of past years. There were many visitors from out of town as
many who had attended Calvary Baptist Church came back to attend this
special anniversary service.
- By special request a group of the
former Baptist Young Peoples’s group over the years went to the front
to have a picture taken. There were visitors from British Columbia,
Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario and Nova Scotia. In his closing
remarks Pastor Barta thanked all those who attended.
- We are very thankful to our Heavenly
Father for the past 90 years, and our prayer is for blessing and
guidance in future years.
- Pauline Daku (*
We will publish thet here in January.)
THE HISTORY OF THE CALVARY BAPTIST CHURCH
- Many people from Hungary settled in the Bekevar District in the
early 1900’s among this group were settlers who were from Baptist
churches in Hungary. They met in homes for singing and devotions. This
area is seven miles from the town of Kipling.
- In 1911 the church was organized by four
devoted families. With only a few members the first church was built...
This building was only 14 by 20 feet in size. The group was led by John
0. Kovach. In response to a request to the Baptist Union of Western
Canada, John Monus came to be the first missionary pastor.
Rev.Monus served from 1912 until 1925.
- As the congregation increased the
meeting-house was enlarged three times. In 1915 the larger church was
built and again enlarged in 1918.
- In 1925 Rev. William Tatter from
Chicago took up the work for 13 years. The work continued through
difficult times during the depression.
- During the early years there were annual
conventions held in the three Hungarian churches. The conventions altered
each year to Leask, Wakaw, and Kipling.
- The pioneer spirit was evident in those
years as neighbors helped each other. The neighboring church along Highway
16 was the Bekevar Presbyterian Church. On some occasions the two
churches had joint meetings.
Békevár Baptist Church, Kipling, Sask. in the
country, 7 miles from Kipling, 1915-1947.
Calvary Baptist Church, in the country,
In 1940. Rev. Gabriel Mento came to
carry on the work. He served for 7 years. The old church was dismantled and a
new one built in 1947. The name was changed from Bekevar Baptist to Calvary
In 1948 Elek Basky from Leask accepted a position in Kipling School.
He was asked to be Lay Pastor, in which position he continued for 5 years. Mr.
Basky re-organized the Young People’s group and also led the choir.
In 1953 Rev. Elmer Dekany accepted a
call and was Pastor for 8 years. The church building was moved in 1959 from
the country to Kipling to its present site on Third Street. In 1223. the
church building was changed with a new entrance addition. Then in 1990 the
front of the sanctuary was remodelled.
In 1961 a change was made from Hungarian to English worship Services.
Rev. Bruce Haskins came in 1961 and was pastor till 1968.
In 1969 Rev. Jacob Rabuka accepted a
call and served as pastor of the church for 13 years. English services were
held in the mornings and Hungarian in the afternoon or evening.
Rev. Monus, the first pastor of the church came once a month to take the
service in Hungarian from 1961 to1971. During the summer months from 1971 to
1973 Rev. Revesz from California took services Sunday evenings.
As an outreach to Hungarian folks who could
not understand the English messages in 1974. Rev. and Mrs. Ilonka from
Romania were sponsored by the church and they continued with Sunday evening
services till 1975.
In 1978. Rev. & Mrs. Lajos Olah
from Hungary continued with the Hungarian work. Rev. Olah served here for 10
years. They had an important outreach to the Hungarian speaking people as well
as others in the community. From 1971 until 1988 our English and our Hungarian
pastors worked together, with English service in the morning and Hungarian in
After Rev. Rabuka left in 1982, Pastor
Paul Hay came and served until 1985.
Pastor Audrey Kemp from Broadview was our pastor for one year.
After a few months of Pulpit Supply Richard Barta from Moosomin
accepted a call from the church in 1987. Rev. Barta was ordained in
1991 and is our pastor at the present time.
Pastor Richard & Doris are continuing
with serving the church for which we are very grateful. Although the services
are in English, Pastor Richard also understands Hungarian and has a good
relationship with the elderly Hungarian folk. However our Hungarian speaking
people are few in number at the present time.
Calvary Baptist Church from its beginning has
had a Sunday School for all ages. Vacation Bible School was started in the
early 50’s and had continued for a number of years. We have regular Bible
studies and prayer meetings each week. We can recall the happy times at our
Annual picnics. Our church potluck suppers are held each month with a time for
outreach and fellowship.
Our prayer is one of Thanksgiving to God for
having led us in the past. We are grateful for the pioneer workers and pastors
who have preached the gospel faithfully over the years. We are thankful for
all who have shared their faith with us. We have a common heritage and a bond
of fellowship in the Lord. May we continue with God’s help to be faithful in
serving our Lord.
OUR PAST ANNIVERSARIES
50th was on July 22-29, 1962. Bruce Haskins, Pastor
Guest speakers were Rev. Bill Molnar, Rev. George Balla, Rev. John Monus.
60th was on July 9, 1972 Rev. Jake Rabuka, Pastor
Guest Speakers, Rev. Haskins, Dr. Renfree, Rev. Revesz, Rev. Monus
70th was on June 20. 1982 Rev. Rabuka & Rev. Olah, Pastors
Speakers were Rev. Moffat, Rev. Medgett, Rev. Monus, Rev. Olah
80th was on July 26 1992 Rev. Barta, Pastor
Speakers were Mr. Ron Basky, Rev. Rabuka, Rev. Larson.
90th was on July 21, 2002 (as report in the previous issue of the Gospel
Irene Basky and Pauline Daku
- It is interesting to read a report about an
article in the Hungarian Paper from Winnipeg. This was in the Special
Jubilee edition: In July 1925. The Bekevar Colony celebrated its 25th
Anniversary. The festival lasted for three days and was remarkable in that
on Sunday, the Reformed, Presbyterian and Baptist churches held a combined
service in a large tent. Many visitors came. On Monday there were speeches
from members of the Sask Government.
- The Bekevar Hungarian Baptist Ladies Aid
was organized in 1920. The ladies were an active group in the work of the
church and missions. Money was sent to help orphans and needy ones in
Hungary. In 1961 the title, Ladies Aid was changed to Ladies Mission
Circle. The church has always been involved in mission projects
including Canadian Baptist Overseas missions.
- The CHOIR was organized in the early years and
continued to serve through all the years. Also a brass band was started in
the 20’s and performed for a number of years. Music Ministry has had an
important part in the life of the church. In later years we had a string
- The Young People’s group was
started by George Balla and also Mrs. Mento led the group with
choir practises. In later years when it was re-organized. we had Bible
Study, programs, socials, with meetings at church and in homes.
- From 1938 to 1940 laymen carried on the work. Rev.
George Balla came to help out during the summer months.